EPFO/APFC answerkey with solutions
EPFO-APFC 2016, 10 JAUNARY, GENERAL ABILITY TEST, SET – A
ANSWERKEY WITH SOLUTIONS
1. what is the indication out of the sentence: ‘I gave him a piece of my mind’?
Ans: (d) scolding
2. what is the meaning of the expression: ‘blue blood’?
Ans: (c) An aristrocat
3. ‘He was hoist by his own petard’ refers to..
Ans: (a) He had problems as a result of his own plans to hurt others
4. What is a ballad?
Ans: (c) A popular story or folktale in verse
5. Plagiarism means
Ans: (d) it is presenting the work of someone else as one’s own
6. Rivalry between the two clans has become water under the bridge means?
Ans: (b) it has become a thing of the past
7. Consider the sentence:
“the teacher gave me the book”
1 2 3 4 5 6 Where the words are numbered for convenience of reference. Consider also the insertion of a single word ‘only’ into this sentence to indicate a desired emphasis. Where shall this word be inserted if the emphasis is to be……..
(i) On the recipient
(ii) On the uniqueness of the item given
(iii) On the giver
Ans: (b) (i)between 3-4, (ii) between 5-6, (iii) before 1
8. What is the meaning of the term ‘didactic’?
Ans: (b) teaching a moral lesion
9. Consider the statement: ‘ the message of peace and brotherhood permeated the address……..’ here meaning of the term ‘permeate’
Ans: (b) to spread all over
10. Arrange the following to form a grammatically correct sentence:
1 Einstein was
2 Although a great scientist
3 Weak in arithmetic
4 Right from his school days
Ans: (b) 2, 1, 3 and 4
11. What is the chronological sequence of the following events?
First battle of Panipat
First gulf war
World war I
Ans: (d) 1, 3, 5, 2, 4
12. A branch of Scholarship that flourished in Europe, particularly from the……..
Ans: (d) Antiquarianism
13. Which of the following statements are correct in response of ‘Stridhana’
Ans: (d) 1 & 3 only
14. What are the number of states and UTs in India
Ans: LOL ;-D (c) 29 and 7 (recently added tilangana)
15. Which of the following is not true of the Western Ghats?
Ans: (d) because rest three are correct, only last one is not verified
16. Ayodhya is located at the bank of which river?
Ans: (c) Saryu
17. The Khilafat committee accepted Mahatma Gandhi’s suggestion for a..
18. What is Know India Programme….
Ans: (d) A programme for the diaspora youth to promote awareness…
19. What is the perimeter fo the figure shown below?
Ans: 44, [10+10+12+12] easy, no use of x and y variables.
20. Special Economic Zones (SEZ) are developed to….
Ans: (d) to promote investment from domestic and foreign sources
21. 6th century BCE Ganas or Sanghas
22. What is the chronological sequence of the following developments?
1. Decline in the export of Indian cotton
2. Cotton boom in india
3. Civil war in America
Ans: (b) 2,3,1
23. Which of the following are the typical differences between the private insurance programmes and the social insurance programmes?
1. Adequacy vs Equity
2. Voluntary vs mandatory participation
3. Contractual vs statutory rights
Ans: (d) 1, 2, 3 and 4 all
24. ‘Unbalanced Growth’ is hypothesized when….
Ans: (b) supply of labour is fixed
25. Which of the following are incorporated in the govt approved National telecom policy 2012
Ans :(d) 1, 2 & 3 only
26. Which of the following is one of the Millennium Development goals fixed by UNO?
Ans: (a) halving extreme poverty and halting the spread of HIV/AIDS
27. The term ‘carbon footprint’ means
Ans: (d) the amount of greenhouse gases produced by our day to day activities
28. Latest Recipient of Bharat Ratna award
Ans: Atal Bihari Vajpayee
29. ‘Green Revolution’ in india was expeditiously feasible in zones of..
Ans: (c) assured Irrigation
30. What is Apartheid?
Ans: (d) a policy of racial segregation
31. Transportation plays a great role in any economy. Which of the following modes of transportation has the highest elasticity?
Ans: (c) Road
32. How does an expansionary monetary policy affect the rate of interest and level of income?
Ans: (a) raises the level of income but lowers the rate of interest.
33. In a medium sized township, the trend of annual immigration is an additional………
Ans: (d) 92610
34. “The problem of rupee” was whose DSc Thesis?
Ans: (d) Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar
35. What is the correct sequence of tributaries fo the river ganga from west to east?
Ans: (a) Yamuna, Ghaghara, son, gandak and kosi
36. There are two circles of radii r1 and r2, the area of bigger circle is…..
Ans: (d) 35 cm , first find the radius of bigger circle r1 (data is given), and then use value of r1 and their circumference (data is given) to find the value of r2. In the end add r1 and r2 and multiply by 2 to get the sum of diameters.
37. Numbers a1, a2, a3, a4, a5…….a24 are in arithmetic progression…..
Ans: (d) 900
38. Under the constitution of India, which of the following statements are correct…?
Ans: (d) 1, 2, and 3 only (preamble of the constitution can be invoked to determine the ambit of Fundamental Rights, as ruled by supreme court in keshavnanda bharti case 1973)
39. When the govt ownership in public sector undertaking is diluted, it is called
Ans: (c) disinvestment
40. The right to free and compulsory education Act, 2009 provides for education to every child in the age group….
Ans: (d) 6-14 years
41. If the prime minister of India is a member of the Rajya Sabha…
Ans: (d) He will not be able to vote in his favour in the event of a no-confidence motion
42. Which one of the following formed the basic premises for developing the Indian constitution
Ans: (a) The govt of India Act 1935
43. The Malimath Committee (2003) looked at ways to reform the
Ans: (b) criminal justice system in India
44. What are the disadvantages of Provident Fund scheme?
Ans: (a) 1 and 2 only
45. Besides resistance to pests, what are the other prospects for which plants have been genetically
Ans: (d) 1, 2, 3, 4
46. Consider the following items:
Which of the above items are included in GNP?
Ans: (d) 1,2, 3, 4
47. Which of the following statements best describe the content of the theory of distribution?
Ans: (d) the distribution of income between the owners of factor resources
48. The demand for a factor of production is said to be derived demand because…
Ans: (c) 2 and 4
49. Whenever countries set up a free trade area (FTA) they abolish all restrictions on trade among themselves and….
Ans: (d) each country maintains its own set of tariffs and quotas on imports from outside countries.
50. Which of the following are the functions of FIPB?
Ans: (c) 1, 2, 3 and 4
51. The term dear money refers to
Ans: (c) high rate of interest
52. A certain sequence of integers is constructed as follows:
Ans: (c) 8 and 34
53. The rangrajan committee on disinvestment of shares in PSEs suggested that
Ans: (a) 1 only
54. The parliament can make any law for whole or any part of india for implementing International treatise.
Ans: (d) without the consent of any state
55. In the study of pollution, SPM refers to
Ans: (d) suspended particulate matter
56. Which of the following industries were first established during the British rule in India.
Ans: (a) cotton textile industry and jute industry
57. Which of the following are the roles of the finance commission in India?
Ans: (b) 1 and 3 only
58. Which of the following statements are correct regarding the IMF?
Ans: (b) 1, 3 and 4 only, India’s quota in IMF is less than 4 percent (its 2.44%), so eliminate point 2 from the options, and u will get your answer.
59. A firm purchasing two items, both on credit on the same day….
60. What was the position held by Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, before he became the V. President of India
Ans: (d) Ambassador to the Soviet Union
61. There are 20 girls and 30 boys in class, and their respective average marks are found to be 55
and 58. The average marks of the entire class are
Ans: (d) 56.8
62. Consider an industry with the following features…..
Ans: (d) 43.33 per labour hour
63. Acid rain is due to
Ans: (a) Sulphur dioxide pollution
64. DNA fingerprinting is a technique used for the detection of:
Ans: (b) disputed parentage
65. There are four identically sized and shaped balls in a box, with only its top open……………
Ans: (b) 1/8
66. Consider the following programmes:
1. Credit linked capital subsidy scheme
2. Micro finance programmes
3. National manufacturing competitiveness programme
4. Cluster development programme
What is common in the above programmes
Ans: ( b) they are programmes related to Micro, Small and medium enterprises
67. SPAM is a system (e-mail) is
Ans: (a) a message distributed indiscriminately
68. A cylindrical closed tank contains 36pie cubic metres of water, and….
Ans: (c) 3 meters
69. Data regarding inventory of a particular item of usage in the production activities of an organization……………..
Ans: (c) 1,05,000
70. Consider the following statements about ALL INDIA RADIO…….
Ans: (c) 1, 2 and 4 only (It provides D2H services
71. The famous ‘Giri’ approach in industrial relations in India espouses the cause of
Ans: (d) Arbitration……. “the Giri Approach to employer-employee relations implies the encouragement of mutual settlement of disputes, collective
bargaining and voluntary arbitration. The essence of this approach is internal settlement in preference to compulsion from outside and voluntary arbitration and collective bargaining rather than compulsory
72. In a race, the first four winners are to be awarded points. Each winner’s point must be……
Ans: (c) 10
73. Which of the following trends in FDI inflows are correct?
Select the correct answer using the codes given below……
Ans: (b) 1, 2 and 3
74. In raising an object to a given height by means of an inclined plane, as compared with raising the object vertically, there is a reduction in
Ans: (a) Force to be applied
75. The mean standard deviation of a set of 16 non-zero positive numbers in an observation…..
Ans: (a) 27.8 and 3.21
76. A sinusoidal transverse wave is travelling on a string. Any point on the string moves in…..
Ans: (a) SHM with same angular frequency as that of the wave
77. The devices that work with computer systems as soon as they are connected are described as
Ans: (c) plug and play
78. Which one of the following software applications would be the most appropriate for performing
numerical and statistical calculations?
Ans: (b) spreadsheet
79. Consider the following statements on GPS
Ans: (c) Both 1 and 2
80. Consider the following statements:
Cellular technology evolves in stages called generation (G), where…….( Three statements)
Ans: (d) 2 only
81. LAN, WAN and MAN are computer networks covering different areas. Their first alphabets L, Wand M respectively stand for
Ans: (c) local, wide, metropolitan
82. A rectangular garden is to be twice as long as its width. If 360m of fencing including gates will
totally enclose this garden, what is the length of the garden?
Ans: 120 m
83. The cloud computing technology refers to
Ans: (c) a distributed computer architecture that provides software, infrastructure and platforms just as required by applications/users
84. Consider the following statements for Nano-technology
Ans: (d) 1, 2 and 3 only, all statements are correct
85. The large hadron collider (LHC) used in the CERN project is a particle accelerator located on the border between….
Ans: (d) France and Switzerland
86. The method of communication in which transmission can take place in both directions, but happens only in one direction at a time, is called…
Ans: (b) half duplex
87. A collection of programmes that controls how the computer system runs and processes information is called..
Ans: (b) operating system
88. SMPS is the acronym for
Ans: switch mode power supply
89. USB is the acronym for …..
Ans: (c) Universal service Bus
90. In a chess tournament, each of the six players will play with every other players exactly once. What is the number of matches that will be played during the tournament?
Ans: (b) 15
91. The maternity benefit Act, 1961 (M.B. Act) provides for how many week’s wages during the maternity period?
Ans: (b) 12 weeks
92. Which of the following are the instruments of providing social security in India?
Ans: (c) 2, 4, 5 and 6
93. A man buys apples at a certain price per dozen and sells them at 8 times that price per hundred. What percentage does he gain or lose?
Ans: (c) 4 % lose
94. For which time intervals, is the percentage rise of population the same for the following data?
95. Four quantities are such that their arithmetic mean is the same as the A.M. of the first three quantities. The fourth quantity is…
Ans: (b) A.M. of the first three quantities
96. If the difference of two numbers is greater than the sum of the numbers, then
Ans: (c) atleast one of the numbers is negative
97. A palindrome is a number which reads the same from left as well as from right, for example, 23732. What is the number of palindromes between 10 and 1010?
98. In writing all the integers from 1 to 300, how many times is the digit 1 used?
Ans: (a) 160
99. Consider the sequential integers 27 to 93….
100. Consider the following statements in respect of Atal Bihari Pension Yojana:
Ans: (c) 1, 2 and 3
101. Walking at 3/4th of his usual speed, a man reaches his office 20 minutes late….
Ans: (c) 60 min
102. Consider the following statements regarding the pradhan mantra Suraksha Bima Yojana
Ans: (b) 3 and 4 only
103. A and B run a 1 km race. A gives B a start of 50 m and still beats him by 15 seconds. If A runs at 8km/hr, what is the speed of B?
Ans: (d) 7.4 km/hr
104. In a race of 1 km, A can beat B by 40 m and B can beat C by 50 m. with how much distance can A beat C in a 0.5 km race?
Ans: (d) 45 m
105. In an office, 40% of the employees are men and the rest women. Half of the employees are tall and half short. Of 10% of the employees are men and short, and 40 employees are women and tall, the number of tall men employees?
Ans: (a) 60
106. Which of the following were the main aspects of the Gandhi Irwin pact of 1931?
Ans: (c) 1 and 4 only. Suspension of the civil disobedience movement and Release of political prisoners
107. Which of the following is not an absolute measure of dispersion?
Ans: (d) coefficient of Variation (it is relative measure of dispersion)
108. A provision shop owner is found to mix 25 kg of rice worth Rs 32/kg and 20 kg of rice worth Rs 35/kg and the mixture is sold at 15% profit. What is the selling price of the mixed rice?
Ans: (b) 38.33 per kg
109. The original lay of a rectangular plot ABCD on open ground is 80 m long along AB, and 60 m wide along BC. Concreted pathways are intended to be laid on the inside of the plot all around the sides. The pathways along BC and DA are each 4 m wide. The pathways along AB and DC will mutually be of equal widths such that the un-concreted internal plot will measure 3/4th of the original area of the plot ABCD. What will the width of each of these pathways along AB and DC?
Ans: (c) 5 m
110. At a dinner party, every two guest used a bowl of rice between them, every three guest used a bowl of dal among them and every four guest used a bowl of curd among them. There are altogether 65 bowls. What is the number of guests present at the party?
Ans: (d) 60
111. Social security may provide cash benefits to persons faced with
1. Sickness and disability
3. Crop failure
4. Loss of the marital partner
Ans: (a) 1,2,3 only
112. If 5 men and 9 women can finish a piece of work in 19 days, 3 men and 6 women will do the same work in…
Question is wrong here, it should have been, If 5 men OR 9 women can finish a piece of work in 19 days, 3 men and 6 women will do the same work in..??
Ans: (d) 15 days (if or is used instead of and)
113. If the radius of a circle is reduced by 50%, its area will be reduced by
Ans: (d) 75%
114. Employees state insurance act, 1948 covers factors like….
Ans: (d) 1, 2, 3, 4 all are true
115. Consider the following statements regarding the Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Beema Yojana:
Ans: (c) 2 and 4 only
116. In an examination paper where maximum marks are 500, A got 10% marks less than B, B got 25% marks more than C, and C got 20% marks less than D. If A got 360 marks, what marks did D get?
Ans: (d) 80 %
117. Ans: (d)
118. Ans: (a)
119. Ans: (a)
120. Ans: (c)
Don’t forget to subscribe this blog & like NDMIAS for future updates 🙂