How to Prepare English for IBPS PO 2016 in 1 Month
Knowing the Syllabus is an important part of your preparation for Bank PO exams. But equally important is having a good strategy. Here is good way to prepare English for IBPS PO 2016.
The English Section for the IBPS PO exam can be broadly divided into 4 parts as given below. We will include individual strategies for each section in this article.
3. Reading Comprehension
4. Verbal Ability
The Syllabus for English in IBPS PO Prelims and IBPS PO Mains is pretty similar.
That being said, keep in mind that the number and difficulty level of questions in the Mains exam are higher than that in the Prelims. There are 30 questions in the Prelims examination and 35 questions in the Mains paper. So you need a solid grasp of concepts.
How to Prepare GRAMMAR in English for IBPS PO 2016
1. There are two main topics in Grammar on which questions are asked in both Prelims and Main exams.
2. Around 5-10 questions in the paper will be based on Grammar. The areas of Grammar you will need to learn are basic Grammar concepts like Tenses, Articles, Prepositions, Degrees of Comparison, Subject-Verb Agreement, Conjunctions, Parts of Speech, Standard Construction, Adverbs, Number in Nouns, etc.
3. Even a short but solid preparation of basic grammar rules will go a long way in helping you. Try going through study notes for English on the internet.
4. Look for articles and lessons relevant to topics often asked like Error Spotting and Gerunds .
5. Practice grammar questions thoroughly using free apps. You can do this even as you travel, helping you multitask and save time. English does not need calculations, so practising on app is an excellent method of improving your English.
6. Be sure to solve the grammar section from the previous year’s papers as this will give you a fair idea about the difficulty level of questions and you can also evaluate your performance.
7. Take mock tests in IBPS PO 2016 Test Series and pay special attention to the solutions. The solutions are short lessons and tricks in themselves that you can keep a note of for your knowledge and also keep them in mind for the exam.
How to Prepare VOCABULARY in English for IBPS PO 2016
1. You will find direct questions on the following topics in both Prelims and Mains exams.
Cloze Test (5 or 10 blanks passage)
Fill in the Blanks (double blanks)
Word Association Pair
Phrase or Idiom Meaning
2. Building vocabulary is a passive skill. Every new thing that you read, whether it be a newspaper or an article or a book, is likely to throw up new words. Whenever you come across a new word, make sure to look it up in a dictionary or google it on your phones. Keep a sheet where you note down its meaning, synonyms, antonyms and its usage.
Later, try to use these words in sentences of your own to revise the meanings. This practice has the added advantage of helping you enhance your understanding of the context of the passage for Reading Comprehension or Cloze Test.
3. Solve the Vocabulary sections from previous years’ papers and time yourself to understand where you would stand at your current level of preparation. Also it will help you understand what level of words are being tested. This is important as unlike Grammar rules, which are limited, Vocabulary is an infinitely vast subject. The best you can and should do is prepare at the level that is being tested.
4. Read the Mixbag study notes to understand contextual usage.
5. Try out Mnemonic Techniques to remember vocabulary
. This is an incredibly powerful way to quickly remember the meanings of often asked words in the exam.
6. Practice Vocab questions on free apps every day. Bookmark the questions that you got wrong and practise them later to achieve accuracy. Solve questions on Synonyms & Antonyms, Word Association Pair to increase the knowledge of words.
7. Go through blogs to find articles on Vocabulary like Easily Confused Words for e.g. Lose & Loose . You should also read up on tips for Cloze Test .
8. Practice sectional tests of English every day. Chart your growth through analysis. It helps to see more words and see an improvement in your performance as you start understanding contextual usage and figuring out meanings you didn’t even know.
How to Prepare READING COMPREHENSION in English for IBPS PO 2016
1. The passage will likely be based on topics like Banking & Economy , Social Issues, Business etc. The good thing is that the questions will be directly based on the content of the passage. But you must be alert while choosing the correct option as the options are, sometimes, very similar.
2. The questions will be mainly Fact-Based and Vocabulary based. Some questions can also be asked on the Main Idea & Theme of Passage. You may also be asked to draw Inferences based on your understanding of the passage.
3. The passages are of medium length, thus the habit of reading fast and understanding the intent of the passage needs to be developed to minimize the time and maximize the output.
4. Practise one comprehension question daily from questions available on the Testbook app. Constant practice will help you achieve accuracy and minimize the time required.
5. Go through some tips to iron out the mistakes you make in tackling RCs once you have done an analysis of previous year’s RCs.
6. Practice comprehensions from various topics because you never know what kind of topic you are going to face in the paper.
How to Prepare VERBAL ABILITY in English for IBPS PO 2016
1. This section consists of a 6 sentence para jumble with 5 questions based on it. Learn how to effectively tackle them using these tips .
2. There might be questions where you need to complete a sentence understanding the context of the sentence.
3. This is a relatively easy section and you can practise these questions occasionally from the free apps.
4. Follow the logic of the passage while answering these questions. Always keep in mind the overall story, as the passage will always tell you a story with a definite beginning, middle and end.
5. Look for connecting words like conjunctions that will help you link the story well.
General Strategy to Prepare English for IBPS PO
1. Remember that in the IBPS PO Prelims exam, time is of essence. Do not spend more than 15 minutes on the English Section of the paper in Prelims Mock Tests and the actual exam. Accuracy and speed can only be achieved by taking more mock tests and timing yourself while you take those tests.
2. Spend time studying basic rules of Grammar. These rules will help you crack many topics in the paper. Unlike Vocabulary, the rules and concepts are often repeated. So if you practice enough, you will likely secure 5-10 marks in the paper.
3. Go through commonly asked Word Lists and try to revise their meanings for the vocabulary section.
4. You should try to solve at least one Sectional Test/ Mock Test every day till the day of the exam.
5. Pick the questions you faced difficulty with from past papers and solve them by timing yourself.
6. It is advisable if you start with the Vocabulary section first as you can get several marks in one go. Also it is the fastest to get through. Get to the Reading Comprehension section next. After a quick reading make sure to attempt the fact and vocab based questions in the RC before you attempt the theme/main idea based questions. The Verbal Ability section should come next because it is relatively easy and scoring. If your Grammar is weak, attempt it last as it might be a little tricky and hence time consuming.
We hope you found this article illuminating! Now go prepare English for IBPS PO 2016!
For more like http://www.facebook.com/ndmias